Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Day at NYC Comic Con

A Day at Comic Con - Javits Center, NYC
My first Comic Convention experience, and definitely not my last. We arrived mid-day and I immediately scanned the booths for as much horror as I could find, dodging the superheroes, Trekkies, and various other socially awkward humans roaming around the Javits Center on a beautiful Spring afternoon. I managed to cover the entire ground in 4 hours, heading home with some really great toys and comics. Highlights of the event included sitting in for 5 minutes of Zombie Survival 101, a seminar about how to survive the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse, and walking out because it was a complete waste of time. The panel was hosted by a few teenagers who obviously have been playing too many video games. Everybody knows how to kill a zombie. Get some sun, fellas. The day was complete when I got to view the prototypes for the Uncle Creepy figure and a sick 25" tall Creature from the Black Lagoon figure coming soon from Amoktime!

Now added to my collection:
  • Count Chocula, FrankenBerry, and Boo Berry bobbleheads
  • Cryptic Art hardcover by Unkle Pigors
  • Two issues of Creepy magazine (1965)
  • Issue #1 of Pigeons From Hell (Dark Horse Comics)
  • Prom Night movie poster (yeah yeah it's a remake but I'm gonna see it anyway)
  • Uncle Creepy t-shirt

Oh yeah and my girl didn't break up with me for being a big nerd so that's a plus . . .

www.nycomiccon.com

No comments: