Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fright Night: Movie Review #6

Fright Night (1985)


When I was a child, my mother would take me grocery shopping at Pathmark and I would wander up and down the video aisle looking at the cover art for 80's horror films on VHS. I remember the titles like it was yesterday, and when I got older, I went on a mission to see all the movies in the aisle that I was too young to rent at the time. Fright Night, although an awfully drawn out and boring film, bears one of the best works of cover art I have ever seen in the horror genre. It has everything you need - spooky old house, dark clouds swirling in the sky with the face of a demon, and an awesome symmetrical font that screams horror! Pure packaging genius!

The poster beckons: "If you love being scared, it'll be the night of your life." I for one love to be scared, but this movie just didn't have the guts. A vampire moves in next door. No one believes Charlie that his neighbor is a killer. The entire film is Charlie trying to convince people that his neighbor is a member of the undead. Without nearly enough gore, the movie drags on with little action to keep you interested. The only reason I chose to acknowledge such a terrible example of the horror genre is because the artwork is so damn cool. This is one of those films that reminds me why I love Netflix so much - you can rent the worst movies and still not feel like you wasted your money - there will be an equally terrible film or ground-breaking one in the mail two days later. Also check the movie out if you want to see a younger version of Marcy Darcy, before she appeared on Married With Children years later. Otherwise, rent a worthwhile vampire flick like 30 Days of Night or the timeless classic Dracula.

No comments: